Monday 28 June 2010

Day Seven


Elevation 5906m
Col de la Bonette 2802m/9193ft
Col St Martin 1500m/4921ft
Col de Turini 1604m/5462ft

Day 7 La Sauze to Sospel
161km

Really special day. We woke up to a fresh morning with a bright sky. Clouds covered a clear blue background waiting to shine through on us. We had a good ride out to Bonette and started the climb feeling fresh. I think the last few days with sunshine had really improved the moral and mood of the group. Its a completely different experience cycling in the heat and sunshine. Although an overcast day provides perfect temperatures for exercise, we were much happier today. Col de la Bonette was to be our longest and highest climb.

The peak is the highest paved road in the Alps at 2802m/9193ft and the climb went on and on and on from tranquil alpine meadows and woodland to rocky snow capped harsh mountain. We really pushed ourselves and went for it, you have to focus on the task in hand to get you most of the way and then the other parts you distract yourself with useless conversation with cycling buddies. Today is big, 3 mountains and cycling into the night.


Reaching the summit of the Bonette was very welcome, not only were we exhausted and bored of the grind to the top but we were cold. The mountain had snow over the past few days and had only reopened the day before. At the top we were greeted by a big group of riders, support crew with yummy sweets and just awesome views over the alps and down to where we would be descending to.


By now a lot of riders have complaints and niggles that aggravate and get worse. Dealing with the pain is part of the daily grind now. PJ was on the floor in agony, tears streaming down his face. Its horrible to see comrades in this way but it is the reality of the ride. Impressively, he has returned to cycling after an road accident that broke 2 vertebrae over the winter. He is struggling to ride due to the pain. After some snaps by the sign we continued forth. The top of this mountain is very steep and the road has sheer drops off which really bring home the risks we are taking. I don’t enjoy the descending because I have come off the bike before and accidents usually happen going downhill. The roads are not always in good condition and the bike can pick up speed very quickly, I also still find the breaking hard on the wrists and strains my fingers and connecting muscles. At the bottom of the descent most had stopped for lunch, we decided to keep going for another hour and were on a fast road in the lower valley with the wind whipping through us. We joined a cycle lane which was smooth and fast in our peloton. Once we hit the next small village, Isola we stopped for lunch. A tiny bar was open and we shared baguettes. Sick of coca cola now we opted for an refreshing change to Orangina. Not really full from our food stop we continued along the main road, we lost the boys ahead of us but Texan Paul waited for us and we rode in a peloton through strong head winds. The wind was bashing us about and we fought on and glided down the balcony road of the mountains transforming into the deep sandy, purple rock and warmer air of the Provence and Cote d'Azur. St Martin is off the main road and a steep climb back into alpine forest. We are greeted by Kai from RSA Films and Colin in Fireflies caps in an open-top Jaguar with their little dog, it makes us smile to have people join us to support our ride.

It was humid and muggy today. Claire and I rode strong and caught the boys, surprised at our own efforts on the climb. We joined them at the water fountain as they splashed around like school boys and posed for stupidly funny photos and we stood and laughed. We stuck together for the last few clicks and at the top rode in in a line together, breathless and shattered. At the cafe we ordered in waffles and teas and introduced Kai and Colin into the mad, sweaty, famished world of ours as we inhaled our food, stretched and joked. News broke that 2 riders had been involved in a crash and that they had been taken to hospital. It was a sharp stab in the stomach as we all woke up to the reality of it and worried for their well-being.

Once we reached the bottom of the mountain we joined the front riders and waited at a patisserie in a beautiful medieval village. Details were filtering through about the crash and in the winds on the balcony main road down towards St Martin, Sue had been blown over her handlebars and Vlaster had collided over the top of her and landed in the middle of the road and injured his collar bone. Sue was shaken and had road rash and severe bruising but fortunately had not broken anything. The support vehicles had scrapped them off the road and taken them to the hospital.

It was early evening now and beautiful light, all the riders had been waiting and congregating before Turini, known as Firefly mountain to us because of all the meaning and experiences on the mountain. The plan was to climb the mountain as one group to unite us and allow us all the share something together.
As we were relishing the evening sunshine but without the entire group we started to ascend Col de Turini with the ladies leading. 70 riders climbing in a swarm of red jersey's felt so special. I had been taking the day in my stride as I didn't want it to end and this was something to remember always.
In my first year with the fireflies, the founding riders had painted 'Norris', my father's name on the road, to honour his memory. As we neared the corner where we had printed it, Jake and Luke Scott appeared next to me. They wanted to be there with me when we cycled over his name. He was like a father to them and Jake is the reason I was able to do the ride originally; He bought me my first bike. I felt anxious and as we continued on but I became distracted by the group until I heard Jake shout 'there's Norris. Everybody stop!'

A rush of emotion pumped through me as I pulled over and turned around. Jake had run over and lay face down over the faded 'Norris' painted on the ground as if to hug it.
I looked around at my friends and comrades and felt overwhelmed as I grabbed my head and keeled over into myself. This was a release, tears streamed out of my eyes and I cried uncontrollably. Emma and Jake wrapped me up in their arms and I felt loved and a strong bond to all my firefly friends. I was blessed with kind and beautiful words from loving friends who told me how everyone could empathize with my situation for doing this ride in direct consequence of my fathers death. I spent time with Luke and Jake and Adrian
and was able to sense the bond and admiration we had for each other shine through. This felt like the beginning of closure, not only to the ride but hopefully to four years of grieving.



You can just make out the NORRIS faded on the tarmac.


We posed for a group photo lying on the tarmac and then I let the group continue on as I needed to take it in and have some space to get my head back to normality. I pedaled on with Luke and the whole group seemed to be thoughtful and in a peaceful state. I felt drained and on the verge of collapse so ate what we had in the group for some energy and continued on with some of the slower riders who had injuries. We reached the top of the col to be greeted by a corridor of cheering, celebrating fireflies. The night was closing in and we started on the descent. It was long and as we lost the light we had only small bike lights and the moonlight to help us stick to the road. Feeling the chill and wanting to be home in bed, I cycled down steadily. I saw a spark come out in front of me and for a moment wondered was that a spark from my breaking or was that a firefly? I pedaled on and saw another spark, I screamed 'firefly' and the others with screamed that they had seen them too. We were caught up in a child-like excitement as fireflies darted out of the darkness and all around us.
Each time we saw another we screamed or chuckled and soon Ady shouted for us to stop. We stood motionless, captivated by the night sky and the whirling, dancing fireflies. It was perfect. The myth of the mountains came alive. Like a dream.

After 14hours, by 10:30pm we had made it to the hotel, cold, tired and fulfilled.

No comments: