Monday 28 June 2010

Route & Reasons


Eve of the ride
In our first night speeches I listened to all these people introduce themselves and explain their various reasons for being here, who they have lost, who they know suffering with cancer and how they want to help. The stories are remarkable and very moving. We have 75 people riding to raise money for Leuka including a Leukaemia survivor, John, cycling with us. He received a standing ovaition having explained his history and that 18 months ago he had to say goodbye to his 2 children and family as he went into receive treatment at the Catherine Lewis Centre. He has only been in remission since January. His strength is inspiring.
I've done this ride twice before, 2006 and 2007, then went on to help produce and filmed the ride in 2008. I only got involved with the Fireflies Ride because I lost my father to cancer in January 2006 and was invited to ride in his memory by some of the founding fathers of the ride. I was able to use the training and ride to filter my grief and deal with all the confusing emotions and hurt in a physical way; the riders efforts are in aid of Leuka and the journey is both physically and mentally challenge and is undertaken in this spirit with the motto: For those who suffer, We ride.

After 2 years out of the saddle and a sense that I've grown and moved out of my grief after losing my father to cancer and doing the ride as a direct result of that I made my speech to the group. My heart was leaping out of my chest and my breathing became shallower as I couldn't quite catch it. I stood on a wobbly chair they gave us as our platform and I had no idea what I would say. I spoke telling everyone how this year feels a lot like my first year, because my approach and head is in a new place. Yes I’ve done it before but I got carried along with it by the other riders as generous and kind and supportive as they were; I wasn’t in the place I am now, which is settled and clear minded having moved away and chosen to come back on my own merits. Before I was doing the ride for my Dad and now partly I am doing it for me.

Some of the riders told us of their family and friends who are survivors and patients they have seen receive treatments linked to the research we have funded. Some spoke of the people they dedicate their rides to and some speak of those they have lost having dedicated their past rides to them. Olivia said she lost 2 people to cancer in the last 4 rides she has done and that she would stop dedicating rides to people suffering with cancer because it seemed to mean she would loose them. Although there are experienced cyclists here and strong athletic types, its still a huge learning curve and a challenge to master the art of taking care of yourself to be able to last the day and climb and descend the Grand Alps. I look forward to the freedom and invigorating aspect of pushing ourselves to the limit and leaving the Alps with a new found look on life; something we all need to deal with life and death.

No comments: